Aiming towards making Wearables mainstream, Garmin has launched First Ever Open platform–Connect IQ–which lets third-party developers to get their apps and interact with Garmin Devices. The software development kit lets developer leverage the technology that Garmin is known for i.e. low power consumption, extended battery life and connectivity to smartphones and peripheral sensors through Bluetooth® low energy (BLE) and ANT+®.
With Connect IQ, developers can now take advantage of the features that have made Garmin products an integral part of an active lifestyle:
- GPS Technology: Trusted GPS technology is the foundation of Garmin devices.
- Battery Life: Garmin devices are designed for optimal battery life, so they’re still running when others aren’t.
- Connectivity: Garmin devices are vastly extendable through BLE and ANT+.
- Autonomy: Garmin devices are fully functional on their own expanding their utility and use cases.
- Durability: Garmin products are built to last, and can endure the demanding conditions that an active lifestyle may bring.
Apart from these:
- Devices will now be able to support widgets and apps.
- Developers can create widgets and add to the main screen loop, like the score of the big game or when the user needs to hydrate during a long run, ride or hike.
You can find more information about SDK and Developer Preview materials here